30 April 2017

Reader Under The Spotlight - Khadija

Today I would like to introduce you to Khadija.

I am a final year nursing student in Canada soon to begin a 3-month placement in the ER (eeps!). Hoping the Filofax keeps me sane and on top of my game!

1. When did you buy your first organiser and what was it?

I first purchased the turquoise personal domino in 2016. I used it every day and I found it wore poorly. This is gross but the string holding it together turned brown. Also the plastic cover attracted unflattering pen marks. I was disappointed in how quickly the domino deteriorated. I use my planners but I don’t believe I’m unduly harsh on them.

2. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?

I am currently using a fluro pink original in personal size which I purchased after flirting with bullet journaling in a Leuchtturm. I missed the Filofax very much and realized how advantageous the ring system is. Bound planners don’t allow you to carefully curate only what you want or need. And discbound systems require thick, expensive paper for durability. Ring bound planners take care of those flaws. I just hope the fluro pink wears better than my old domino. I hope if I stain the leather someone that I can dye it black at least, which is an improvement over the plastic domino.


3. How many Filofax or other brands of organisers do you own?

I have an A5 and a personal pink fluro original. I never use the A5 but I like having it on hand just in case. I think the A5 format in general is comfortable and roomy so it’s handy to have even if it isn’t portable.

4. What do you use your organisers for?

I use my organiser to manage my current role as a bridesmaid, my volunteer research assistant commitments, tasks associated with school, my catsitting schedule, and all the little details I need to keep on top of for my nursing degree.

5. How many sections do you have in your organiser and what is each section used for?

I have five broad sections:
1) A monthly where I list major project due dates, recurring monthly events (like leather conditioning), vacations, etc.
2) A weekly where I list small project due dates and things I want to accomplish in each day
3) Trackers: my daily diet, a finance tracker, a weight tracker (trying to lose weight), a habit tracker
4) Reference pages: Inspiring quotes, studying tips, etc..
5) Project pages: I have a page for my bridesmaid tasks, a page for what I need to do to update all my IDs that are soon expiring, etc..

6. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?

An A5 or A6 (not personal, even though that’s what I use) compact leather planner in fluro pink with lots of pockets and card clots and no big back opening like the Gillio compagna. Extremely floppy and soft cow’s leather (nothing exotic) with no stiffener. I’d like the leather to have natural gradations in color like the Malden rather than just being one shade.

7. What's your favourite Filofax tip or hack?

Check out pinterest and facebook to get ideas for inserts. The best inserts are the ones you make yourself! I also like sitting back sometimes and working with the philofaxy podcast playing in the background. It’s like jazz to my ears

8. Have you ever attended a Philofaxy meet-up? if not do you intend to one day?

I’ve never attended one but I’d love to in the future. It might be a good way to explore a distant city and make some new friends.

9. What was the last movie you watched?

It was for school and it was called Sick Around the World. Actually fascinating and I think anyone and everyone should watch it. It compares the pros and cons of different health care systems around the world. Should be compulsory viewing!

10. What was the last book you read?

I just started In a Dark, Dark Room, which I would give about 7/10. Not a fan of the writing but the setting and story was interesting. It’s a page-turner! I love my old fashioned British mysteries. Agatha Christie, etc. And this book is sort of in the same vein. It makes sense that I like the Filofax!

Thank you Khadija

As you know we are always looking for new people to appear in our 'Reader Under Spotlight feature, you don't have to be 'well known' or a long term user to be considered to appear in this 'spot'. So please contact Steve philofaxy at gmail dot com today.

2 comments:

  1. Great article :) I enjoy getting to know the all planners in our world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Khadija! Your dream planner sounds a bit like a Gillio Amica, if they made it in A6 and pink.

    ReplyDelete