14 September 2014

Reader Under the Spotlight - Josefine

Today I would like to introduce you to Josefine 

Hello! My name is Josefine Winther Jørgensen and I’m from the capitol of Denmark, Copenhagen.  I started getting into planners a little more than a year ago. I got my first Filofax about 7 years ago, though. I just graduated with a B.A. in German studies (major) and Pedagogy (minor). This September I will start graduate school in Pedagogy, which can be explained as learning oriented psychology. When I don’t study, I work for a small company that publishes books used in pre-law and law school. I also really enjoy shopping and flea markets.

1. When did you buy your first organizer and what was it?

I got my first Filofax when I was about 16 or 17. It was the Domino in red in personal, and I brought it to school with me every day until I graduated “university prepping high school”, even though I never really used it. Not long after I got a black Domino, also in personal, but it wasn’t until I was 22 and had almost finished my bachelor’s degree I really started using them and my Filofax-obsession took off! I have now sold both Dominos, as I prefer my calendars to be real leather.

2. What other brands have you used or considered using?

I once owned a Paperchase planner, but we never really bonded, so I sold it again to a lady on the German Filofax page. It seemed very ordinary compared to the higher end brand Filofax. I also have two embossed Van der Spek Touch Me in black, and oh my, do I love them!

3. Out of the organizers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?

Van der Spek Touch me in standard/personal in black! I love, love, love them! The big back pocket is just wonderful! If it has to be a Filofax I would pick the Malden personal in black or the Finchley A5 in black, which I both own. However, they are not embossed, and I really like personalized items.

4. How many Filofax or other brands of organisers do you own?

I have 9 real Filofaxes, 2 Van der Speks (both Touch Me in standard in black with personal embossing) and one no-name calendars in personal that I got from Ebay.co.uk for about 4 Euros , because they had a lot of blank paper in them.

5. What is the oldest organiser in your collection?

An A5 Finchley in black or a black Malden in personal. I got both of them used, and they were both like brand new.

6. What do you use your organisers for?

I use my Van der Spek as an EDC (every day carry) where I manage university and my work and a Filofax Kendal as my “home management binder”, where I keep anything from business cards to a testament.

7. What was the feature about  Filofax you like most?

That I can plan my things, haha. When I started using Filofax a big selling point was that I could combine my wallet and calendar.  I don’t combine them any longer, though.

8. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?

I really, really like the Van der Spek Touch Me in standard/personal, so it would be close to that. Maybe I would like a name plate like the Kate Spade planner has, but in silver instead of gold and with my name instead? I also really like croco texture, as I find it very elegant. Or maybe a calendar that matches the Rika Starbag I just bought?

9. How do you carry your Filofax?

At the moment in my tan Rika Starbag. I got for myself as a treat when I got my B.A. I don’t really protect my calendar in any way.

10. Which Filofax in the current range do you like the most? Are you going to buy it?

I like the Malden. I have two Maldens: a black and a tan, both in personal. I would also like The Original with my name embossed. Maybe in yellow to add some colour to my collection?

11. What is the most you have ever spent on a Filofax or other brand of organiser? Which model?

The Van der Spek Touch Me was my most expensive purchase.  I think it was about 150 Euros. I have two – yikes!

12. What's your favourite Filofax tip or hack?

Make your own “personal information page” and fly-leaf. I also make my own dividers, but somehow my lamination always begins to “split” after a month or so, so it doesn’t look nice for very long. I also really like having a label machine, since it makes the tabs much nicer and professional looking.

13. Turning to Philofaxy, what do you like the most?

The free inserts and “Reader under the spotlight”!

14. And what do you not like about Philofaxy?

Nothing!

15. What was the last music track you downloaded or bought?

I very rarely listen to music! It is very strange, since both my father and brother are very, very musical and have taught themselves to play the guitar ect. I really like the Danish singer Anne Linnet, though! She is wonderful! I also really like Joan Baez and Bob Dylan.

16. Have you ever attended a Philofaxy meet-up? if not do you intend to one day? 

No, I haven’t but I would love too! However, I have ever only seen one other Dane in the community in all my time here! We have been talking quite a bit, though. Within minutes of starting a conversation we discovered that we didn’t only share the interest in Filofax, but also that we both had experienced a sexual attack.

17. What was the last movie you watched?

Hmm, good question. I actually had to check my Netflix-account to answer this, and I am in the process of seeing a movie called “Skin”, that takes place in South Africa during the Apartheid. I can recommend it, since the issue is still very important.

18. What was the last book you read?

I just finished a book about how “people do gender”. This topic is very hot in the pedagogical world at the moment, and I find it extremely interesting. I am considering writing my M.A. thesis about the subject, especially how the Danish Kindergarten and preschool system affect children’s understanding of their and other people’s gender identity.

19. George Clooney or Brad Pitt? 

I think I would pick Brad Pitt, because I think he is younger? But if you told me George Clooney had a master’s degree or Ph.D. I would pick him. I love men with a good education and a strong mind!

Thank you Josefine. If you would like to go under our 'spotlight' please contact philofaxy at gmail dot com

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,
    How lovely to read your post and to feel I've met a new Philofaxer. I did my Masters degree on pupils' gender perceptions and gender in pedagogy, but in Music Teaching. It was fascinating, so you will enjoy studying that. I wanted to do a study on world pedagogies and differing approaches to Music Teaching in a variety of countries, but my tutor suggested the scope was more for doctoral study and that gender studies were the hot potato of the moment, so I was persuaded to change. Hey ho!! Think I missed out on my distinction because of it though, as I had got distinctions for every other piece of course work and I wasn't as inspired by the topic.... I did get into it in the end though and found it very interesting..... but took me a while. One of my first FFs was a red Domino too in personal. Now I own A5s and use them much more. Long for a VDS too.... such craftsmanship. Have a great day in Copenhagen. xxxx

    ReplyDelete